Employment & Auditions
Violin I: Chairs 3, 4, 5, 9 & 10
Violin II: Chairs 5 & 6
Audition Date: February 22, 2024
Audition Location: Flossmoor Community Church, 2218 Hutchison Road, Flossmoor, IL 60422
IPO believes that artistic strength is achieved through inclusion. Only then can we fully realize our potential towards community connectivity, authentic expression, and sustainable growth. Now in our 46th season as a professional orchestra, and led since 2017 by Music Director Stilian Kirov, IPO is intricately connected to Chicago’s Southland Region. Named ‘Professional Orchestra of the Year’ by The Illinois Council of Orchestras in 1991, 2010 and 2020, IPO performs seven programs each year (each with one concert) annually at Ozinga Chapel at Trinity Christian College in Palos Heights, IL. A summer chamber series in Olympia Fields and numerous small ensemble concerts bring classical music directly to residents of our increasingly diverse community. In addition to musical excellence, IPO musicians are often asked to serve as ambassadors for the orchestra within our communities as youth coaches and as leaders for ensemble performance opportunities, developing programming for those concerts in addition to performing. Chicagoland is rich with musical opportunities in the many ensembles and educational institutions in our midst, and our members are able to perform and teach in a broad range of settings.
- Typical seasons include seven mainstage concerts encompassing 31 services and up to 10 ensemble/chamber concerts.
- 2023-24 Base service rate: $110.61. Assistant Principals receive 112.5% base rate and Principals receive 125% base rate. Doubling receives 20% over scale.
- 24 guaranteed services to Violin I 3,4 & 5 & Violin II 4 & 6. 12 guaranteed services to Violin I 9 & 10.
- Maximum mileage reimbursement is for 150 roundtrip miles per day.
- All applicants will be granted a live audition.
- Auditions will be fully screened from first through final rounds.
- Auditionees are eligible for addition to the IPO substitute list.
- Current tenured musicians, and any musician who has previously advanced to a final round of an IPO audition during the last 5 years, may choose to forego the initial audition round and join the audition in Round 2, where Round 2 may be either a final round, or an additional non-final round. Qualifying musicians desiring to forego the initial round must notify IPO of their intention at firstname.lastname@example.org at least five business days prior to the audition date.
- IPO is a member orchestra of the Chicago Federation of Musicians, Local No. 10-208, American Federation of Musicians. Per IPO’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, “Any musician who is not a member of [Joliet Local 37 or Chicago Local 10-208] shall…become a member of Chicago Local 10-208 and maintain such membership as a condition of continuing employment.”
- Probationary and tenured musicians are expected to comply with all provisions of the IPO collective bargaining agreement, including meeting required minimum attendance provisions.
- All applicants are required to hold authorization to work in the United States.
Proud partner of National Alliance for Audition Support. Musicians with diverse backgrounds, identities, and experiences are encouraged to apply.
• Complete this form
• Applicants are encouraged to complete the National Alliance for Audition Support Survey. Survey will be emailed to applicants separately.
• Auditionees are required to mail a $25 check to ensure attendance at audition. Checks will be returned at the audition. If you are unable to provide a check, please contact email@example.com for an accommodation, which we will happily grant. DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION IS FEBRUARY 8th. Checks must also be postmarked by this date.
– IPO Violin Audition Repertoire 2024 (CLICK HERE)
• For any further inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra does not have any open positions at this time
Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra is not seeking interns at this time
One of IPO’s priorities is to build an inclusive artist community and as such, we are committed to EDI (equity, diversity, and inclusion) work and reimagining a new orchestral collective of today. Click Here to view IPO’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
We are proud to support The National Alliance of Audition Support (NAAS) as an Orchestra Partner. NAAS is an unprecedented national initiative to increase diversity in American orchestras. It will do so by offering Black and Latinx musicians a customized combination of mentoring, audition preparation, financial support, and audition reviews. Learn more at www.auditionalliance.org